How to best deal with sihr (magic/witchcraft)
- Whoever is affected by sihr should not treat it with sihr, because evil cannot be removed by evil, and kufr cannot be removed by kufr. Evil is removed by good. We cannot remove sihr from a person who has been affected by it by using more sihr. The saahir does sihr or learns sihr only after worshipping and serving the shayaateen, and drawing close to them by means of the things that they like. After that, they teach him the means of sihr.
- Treat it by means of the Qur'aan and permissible medicines or good ruqyahs, there is nothing wrong with that. But, praise be to Allah, there is no reason why the person who has been affected by sihr should not be treated by means of reciting ￼￼￼Qur'aan and the prayers for refuge with Allah that are prescribed in sharee'ah, and permissible medicines.
- NB: Bear in mind patients with all kinds of ￼￼sicknesses are treated by doctors. The patient does not necessarily recover, because not every sick person recovers. A sick patient might be treated and then recover if his appointed time (of death) has not yet arrived, or he may not recover and may die from this sickness, even though he may be been seen by the most skilled physicians and knowledgeable doctors. When the appointed time of ￼￼death comes, no medicine or treatment will be of any avail, because Allah says in Surah al-Munaafiqoon 63:11]
َٗىَِ يُ َؤ ِخشَ ٗىَئُ َّفۡ ًغب ِإرَا َجبٓءَ أَ َجُي َٖبۚ َٗٗىَئُ خَِجيشُۢ ِث َب￼￼ َرعَۡيَُُ٘ (٢٢)
￼"And Allah grants respite to none when his ￼appointed time (death) comes"
- ￼Medical treatment is of no benefit when the appointed time has come, and Allah decrees that His slave should not be healed. The same applies in the case of one who has been affected by sihr.
- Allah may decree that he should recover, or He may not decree that, as a test and a trial, or for other reasons which are best known to Allah. Among those reasons￼may be the fact that the one who is treating him does not have the right treatment for this problem. It was narrated that the Prophet ￼ said: 'For every disease there is a medicine, and if ￼￼￼that medicine is applied to the disease, he will recover by Allah's Leave."(Bukhari) And he ￼ said: "Allah has not sent down any disease but He has also sent down the ￼cure; the one who knows it knows it and the one who does not know it does not know it."(Ahmad)
- If Quran it is recited by a believing, righteous reader who knows that everything is subject to the will and decree of Allah, that Allah is in control of all things, that when He says to a thing 'Be!' it is, if the reciting is based on faith, taqwa and sincerity, and is repeated ￼several times, then the sihr may be removed and the person may recover by Allah's Leave.
￼￼￼Some of the Sahaabah ￼ passed by some Bedouins whose leader, had been bitten. They had done everything they could but he had not
They said to one of the Sahaabah, "Is there any raaqi (one who performs ruqyah) among you?" They said, "Yes." So one of them recited Surat al-Faatihah over him, and he immediately got up full of energy as if nothing had happened; Allah healed him of the ill-effects of that snakebite. The Prophet ￼ said: "There is nothing wrong with ruqyah so long as it does not involve shirk."(Bukhari). From this hadith we
￼understand that ruqyah can also be done on non Muslims. He ￼ performed ruqyah and had it performed for him. There is a lot of good in ruqyah, and a great deal of benefit.
- Allah may heal the sick person and the person affected by sihr, and others, without any ruqyah and without any action on the part of other people, because He is Able to do all things, and He is Wise in all He does. Allah says in His Holy Book [Yaa-Seen 36:82]
إَِّ َبٓ أٍَۡشُُٓ ۤۥ إِرَآ َأسَا َد َشيًۡـٔب أَُ َيقُ٘هَ ىَُٔ ۥ مُِ َفَينُُ٘ (٦٢)
'Verily, His Command, when He intends a thing, is only that He says to it, 'Be!' and it is'